<VV> Advice on possible rebuild

qcc65@charter.net qcc65@charter.net
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 5:27:05 +0000

Steve,
   A little different take from the Sages on here with a lot of experience. I agree you shouldn't rebuild your present engine if it is not in need. But the idea of getting a second engine and having a top notch backup is a good one.
   I spent last fall with a friend (40 year Corvair mechanic) and rebuilt two engines in his shop. One a 180 turbo for my Corsa Coupe, and one a 140 for the wifes convertible. I had never rebuilt an engine before. The experience was priceless. I learned a great deal and know my engines were done right. They both run like new now and we are pleased.
   Expect to spend up to $2000 for an engine on parts and machine shop work, depending on condition and needs.
   I don't doubt the Federal Mogul guys are capable, however.......there are things you need to know about Corvair engines that are never an issue with water pumpers, inline or V configuration engines. Like Clocking of the rings, deflashing, proper orientation of the pushrods etc. If you decide to do this with the Federal Mogul guys, I suggest you are allowed to take part in every step, and use the Corvair books that are available to you. Make them required reading for the FM bunch. Bob Helts book is a good place to start and I'm sure one of the Corvair Manuals covers engine rebuilds in detail.
   You will get more than $2000 in knowledge from this exercise and it may not cost that much.

My 02 cents
Ron Guy
Baghdad Corvair Club (unsanctioned)
Missing working on Corvairs