<VV> Fw: corvair bus

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet@charter.net
Fri, 10 Sep 2004 07:11:15 -0400

Guys,
Here's a note I received about some custom Corvair buses. Anyone on the left
coast know or have photos of this?
Rick Norris

Hello Rick,

I was looking at your web site and thought I'd write you a quick note.  In
1973 I graduated from HS in Salem, OR.  I attended a private school there
where I worked part time at the school to pay my own way.  One of the things I
did was to clean and wash the school buses.  The mechanic there was a corvair
hound.  His hobby was to stretch Greenbrier vans out, install a 350 engine,
trick them out real nice and sell them.  He did so well, that after school was
out he went into it full time and moved to, I believe, California.

I have been looking for one of his vans for a number of years.  Back then, he
was selling them for around $25,000.  They were show stoppers. ...at least the
ones I saw.  On a couple of occasions when I was traveling in California in
later years, I would see one of his beauties going down the freeway.  Each one
was different, but I knew they were his because of his signature look.  He
usually put a drone axle in front of the drive axle and put the top off a
Vista Cruiser on them which gave them a sort of "Grayhound" look.

Do you know anything about him or his vans?  I cannot remember his name
(unless I dig up my old year book).  I sure would love to see his work again
or even get one if it was affordable to me.

Thanks for your time, Paul