<VV> RE: TRANS FLUID

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 14:18:13 -0700

At 12:15 hours 09/13/2004 -0400, UltraMonzaWest@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/12/04 8:32:40 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tonyu@roava.net
>writes:
>

>> Yep.    When I'm short on Rislone I dump a quart of ATF into the crankcase
>> a couple weeks before an oil change.    And, it's cheaper than Rislone.
>>

>> However, it's still hovering around a viscosity that's pretty low for an
>> engine using the stuff exclusively for daily driver service.  I'm not so
>> sure I'd wanna trust it for such.
>>
>**************************
>Just like the Shell commercial...taxi  drives around NY city  with NO
>oil...after having Shell Fire and Ice  in it.....drive easy......no
problem..except
>hyd. lifters...

I saw a '64 Ford w/289 2xbbl and automatic drive all the way across town
with no oil in the pan.   Missing its drain plug, young female driver had
asked for suggestions about red light on dash, said it had been on since
"late afternoon" and it was almost dark when she pulled into the lot where
we were hanging out.  I looked under the car to see if there were any leaks
since no oil was on the dipstick... saw the hole where the drain plug was
supposed to be.

The engine was idling smoothly with some lifter rattle but otherwise seemed
OK, no knocks.   It had evidently been running for a couple of hours with
no oil in the pan.   We told her to park it and call someone to get her,
then pick up a drain plug for the oil pan from some car parts place and
plug the pan and then pour some oil into the car.   She said OK etc.    I
left out shortly afterwards, and a couple of days later I saw her cruising
the "main strip" with the same car, running fine, evidently no worse for
the experience.

If I'd tried that I'd have friction-welded the rods to the crank.   She
must have driven the car like a granny for it to survive a 15 mile trip
through traffic.

tony..