<VV> License Plates

Mark mblasko@jps.net
Mon, 13 Sep 2004 17:18:35 -0700

Until about 3 years ago I was insured through State Farm with their "special
interest" policy.  We are in a situation where we have more than two cars
for two drivers, so every car over "2" is a "3rd" car (too bad they don't
consider a 4th or a 5th or a .....)  I was paying about $360 a year for our
'66 Corsa convert with an agreed value of $6500 (basic full coverage with
$500 deductible).  The only real driving limitation was 7500 miles a year,
no kid drivers,, not "daily" driven but "occasionally" driven.  Easy for us.

Then I learned about State Farms Classic Car Insurance.  Car has to be 25
years or older, you fill out a form, car has to be nice (they require
several pictures) and our current rates are about $95 a year for the Corsa.
Same clauses but our mileage did decrease to 1500 miles a year.  They
indicated they understand about traveling to classic car events, shows, etc
and seem flexible on the mileage and you can actually pay for more miles.
We have several older cars to drive, they don't appear strict about the
mileage, so we have not had any problems.  They truly seem to understand
that these cars will be driven!

When I investigated some of the "classic car" insurers, the main problem
that I found is that the car can't be left "unattended".  Sure, drive it to
a show, in a parade, or to a meeting just don't leave in unattended.  If you
run an errand and go into a store your car is unattended.  If you go out to
dinner (I guess a drive-in might be an exception) your car would be
unattended.

Of the two big classic car insurance companies I spoke to, one said that if
a claim was made against a car left unattended they would probably pay and
then cancel you.  The other said they might not pay.  Your mileage may vary.
I do have other cars insured for higher dollar amounts and the rates only go
up slightly (ie a $13K car would not be $190 a year or a $26K car would be
way less than $380 a year).

I am frustrated with State Farm in that their premiums rise every time I am
billed.  We are good customers, have had any claim where we were at fault,
and insure our home with them.  Our newer cars just get older and worth
less, why do the premiums continue to rise!!?.

Happy Motoring-
Mark
'66 Corsa 140 convertible
etc