<VV> Ultimate Frustration (long)

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Wed, 15 Sep 2004 17:19:04 -0400

This concerns restoring the paint finish of the half of my
engine-compartment lid to which I foolishly applied an orbital waxer using
No. 7 White Polishing Compound. It produced scratches in the paint that my
most-strenuous efforts by hand (even using No. 7 Rubbing Compound) could not
obliterate.
     So, I bought an electric (non-orbital, 1000~3000rpm) polishing machine
with an assortment of wool and foam bonnets, some 1500-grit sandpaper and
some 2000-grit. I also bought some water to use with the sandpaper, and some
3M Scratch Remover (liquid) to use with my polishing machine. This stuff
advertises, "This product safely and effectively removes grade 1500 or finer
sanding scratches, medium oxidation, coarse swirl marks or water marks, and
leaves a fine finish."
     I wet-sanded with the 1500, then again with the 2000 until the 1500
scratches could not be seen. Then I applied the Scratch Remover, using the
wool bonnet and what must be 1000~1800rpm (the speed of the polisher is
adjustable). I CANNOT get those sanding scratches to disappear. The
scratches are uniform (none especially bigger or deeper than any other), and
the pressure I used on the sandpaper when sanding was just about what the
suction produced that developed between the paper and the paint.
     I sanded only in one direction, just like it says to do, and I don't
lay the polisher disk flat on the paint; I'd say there's about 30 degrees
between the plane of the paint and the plane of the polisher disk. The paint
is about 5 years old and otherwise undamaged (not thin, nor oxidized). It is
NOT original Corvair/GM paint, and it is apparently not clearcoated (color
comes up on the rag/bonnet, and has since before the unfortunate first
incident recounted above). It's a modern paint, obviously ($$$), but I can't
say how hard it is, relative to other paints; only that it's fully cured.
     What am I doing wrong? I've gone over the surface in question about a
dozen times, and while the surface has gotten nice and shiney, I can STILL
see the sanding scratches.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C