<VV> More, hopefully simple, drivetrain assembly questions.

Macdonald David dmacd_us@yahoo.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:24:54 -0700 (PDT)

First an update.

I'm getting close to completion of the drive train.

I recovered from the setback of a broken throughout
shaft nose with resulted in the discovery of a spun
rear bearing in the differential. The pinion shim had
been badly damaged as the bearing spun but I measured
a few of the pieces and chose a slightly thicker shim
assuming the some of the shim had been smeared away.
The pinion itself was in good shape and the new
bearing still fit snugly.

The differential went back together and was worried
becuase the pinion adjustment was on notch further out
htan the position when I tore it down so I assumed
that the pinion was closer to the ring gear than the
factory setup. However, I got a great contact pattern
on the first try. Put in a fancy new machined nose
piece with two seals to replace the one I busted.

I put the starter back together and, in the process
one of the brush springs broke. Another order for
Clarks and they unknowingly taunted me by asking if I
wanted to pick the stuff I ordered at the show. I'm
going to skip it as I want to stay focused on driving
the car I have.

I received the Acrylic Lacquer dashboard paint in
Slate. Looks great but is not the same colo(u)r as the
dash on my car. My dash is blue and the paint I
received was gray. I don't know if I chose the wrong
color or if Canadian cars used different paint on the
dash or if my dashboard turned blue over time. Oh
well, I'm not painting the dash all that soon anyhow
and I think the slate color will be fine.

Now the questions:
1) Rear engine mount.
I put nuts on the rear engine cover when I assembled
the engine. Does the engine mount go on top of the
nuts or should I have bolted it on with the cover?

2) Reverse switch.
There is a little stub on the bottom of my
transmission that may be the reverse switch. It has
not provision for connector looks more like a brass
plug. Perhaps it's what a broken switch looks like.

Where does the wiring come from for the switch? I
can't find it anywhere near where it should be and
only the Thermistor and Starter wires come through the
firewall. I'm stumped on this one.

3) Gasket goo on the Flywheel bolts?
I read in one of my reference books to put gasket goo
on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts to prevent oil
leakage throug the bolts. I'm having real difficulty
bring myself to do this. Should I?

Thanks

David Macdonald
'65 Canadian Corsa 140 Coupe.
Resting since May '74
In Group Red since July '04
Will be driven under it's own power in September '04