<VV> More, hopefully simple, drivetrain assembly questions.

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 20:11:40 -0400

Rear mount bracket goes on under single nuts. Wouldn't you have extra nuts
lying around if the bracket had gone on top of a set of nuts?
     Sounds like your PO substituted a plug for a broken/leaking switch.
Wiring for the switch comes from the front of the car (it's controlled by
the ignition switch). Your PO MAY have neatly tucked the unused wiring in
under the rear bottom center panel on the bottom of the car immediately
ahead of the power train. It comes out of the back of that.
     Put Form-a-Gasket #2 (non-hardening, green) or equivalent on those
flywheel bolts. Nothing to it - just take a deep breath. The Shop Manual
says to.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Macdonald David
Sent: Thursday, September 16, 2004 4:25 PM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> More, hopefully simple, drivetrain assembly questions.
Now the questions:
1) Rear engine mount.
I put nuts on the rear engine cover when I assembled
the engine. Does the engine mount go on top of the
nuts or should I have bolted it on with the cover?

2) Reverse switch.
There is a little stub on the bottom of my
transmission that may be the reverse switch. It has
not provision for connector looks more like a brass
plug. Perhaps it's what a broken switch looks like.

Where does the wiring come from for the switch? I
can't find it anywhere near where it should be and
only the Thermistor and Starter wires come through the
firewall. I'm stumped on this one.

3) Gasket goo on the Flywheel bolts?
I read in one of my reference books to put gasket goo
on the flywheel to crankshaft bolts to prevent oil
leakage throug the bolts. I'm having real difficulty
bring myself to do this. Should I?

Thanks

David Macdonald
'65 Canadian Corsa 140 Coupe.
Resting since May '74
In Group Red since July '04
Will be driven under it's own power in September '04