<VV> Front end help needed

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:22:33 -0400

I have a 67 Monza coupe that I bought a year or so ago from a guy in Arizona.
I have done a whole lot to the car, and I am just getting around to working on
a problem it had when I bought it.  The steering wheel has excessive free
play.  The P.O. thought it was the steering sector and gave me a spare one
with the car.  I installed it soon after receiving the car, but it did not
alleviate the problem.  Same freeplay as before.  I moved on to more important
areas like rebuilding engine, lots of work on A/C, body work etc.  I decided
to take it to a front end shop and get it checked out.  The alignment person
said that my upper A-Arm bushings were toast, and that the Pittman arm bushing
was were the freeplay was coming from, not the steering sector.  I ordered new
A-Frame bushings, all new bushings for stabilizer bar, a new pitman arm
bushing, and new bushings for strut rods from Clark's.  Hurricanes Charley and
Frances slowed me up for awhile, but I'm back on it now.  I have replaced the
upper A-Arm bushing (what a thrill that turned out to be).  I moved on to the
pitman arm bushing and I cannot figure out how to get it out to replace it.
The book seems to imply that I will have to remove the pitman arm and a whole
lot more, and drive the bushing out from the top.  I have a pitman arm puller
and a pickle fork, but I need to know the proper steps to take to do this.  I
know how to pull the pitman arm from the steering sector (been there earlier
and done that) and will do so again if I need to.  Any and all suggestions on
best way to approach this appreciated.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.