<VV> New gas tank w/ Red-Kote

J R Read_HML hmlinc@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:43:25 -0500

Stephen,

Apparently I'm not with the consensus as I don't think you had to do a darn
thing to a new tank.  The originals lasted 40+ years without internal
coating and the ones that did not make that are the ones that sat, unused
and partial gas in them.  A little machine oil diluted in a tank of gas
would not hurt anything.

But, since you DID coat it already...  just make sure the coating is
completely dry before you put gas in it.  Still off the car?  Put some gas
in and slosh it around.  See if the coating stays in place or not.  I assume
your concern is that the machine oil which may/may not have been in there
would prevent your coating material from sticking properly.  This will
answer that question.

Need for inline filter?  Questionable - frankly, I doubt you need it.
However, you SHOULD consider relocating the electric pump up by the tank -
and of course you have it set up to turn OFF in the event of a collision or
roll over?

Attachments are scanned with anti-virus software.

Later, JR
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140
'66 beater Coupe - icemobile 4/140