<VV> New gas tank w/ Red-Kote and other gas tank stuff

Rick & Janet Norris rickjanet@charter.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 06:34:36 -0400

I have replaced more than a few gas tanks in Corvairs. Notice I said
"replaced". ULTRA PARTS not withstanding if there is any question about the
condition of the tank it comes out and gets replaced. Why go to all that
trouble with an old tank? Since most of our Corvairs sit more than they
drive condensation can a problem.
All the new tanks including the one NOS tank I did from Ebay had an oily
residue from the manufacturing process on the inside. I use the kit from POR
which is offered from Clarks also to clean and degrease the inside and out
side of the tank. After I drain it I use a rag on a stick to mop up the
excess then I either sit it in the sun all day or attach my air hose with a
blow nozzle and let the air circulate for several hours. One of the handy
tools I use is a flashlight with an 18" flex neck and a tiny bulb on the end
to inspect the inside with.
I then apply the inside coating as instructed letting it dry for several
days to be sure it has set up.
I then use Clarks product to coat the outside of the tank.
This will make a tank that will never have to be given a second thought for
your lifetime!

I always install an inline filter outside of the engine compartment in the
rubber hose that connects the steel line from the tank to the steel line in
the engine compartment. The inline filter is just good insurance against
whatever might be in the gas at your local U-Pumpit or inside the body fuel
line.
Do it once, do it right and fagetaboutit!

Rick Norris
First President CORSA 1971
Email rickjanet@charter.net
Web Site http://webpages.charter.net/corvairalley