<VV> Front end help needed

Anil Mittal anil@anil.com
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 10:29:49 -0400

Cecil,

  The dust boots on your ball joints can be replaced without removing
them from the car. You do need to remove the nut and releive the
spring pressure. If it were me I would change the joint, it's not
much more work than changing the boot. You can find the boot in the
"HELP" section of you FLAPS. Hope this helps.

Anil

--__--__--

Message: 4
From: "Ewell Mills" <emills5@cfl.rr.com>
To: <virtualvairs@corvair.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:39:48 -0400
Subject: <VV> Front end help needed

On my previous post I forgot something so I have one more question
that I
forgot to include. When I removed the upper A-Arms to replace the
bushings, I
discovered that the rubber dust caps on both upper ball joints were
busted
open, probably from someone pumping in to much grease. The ball
joints were
O.K according to the Alignment person that I had check out the front
end.
Question is, are these replaceable or do I have to replace the ball
joints?
The ball joints were bolted to the upper A-Arm, but I don't know if
this
indicates they had been replaced or if Corvairs came with them bolted
in. The
only other ball joints that I have ever replace was on a 66 Mustang,
and they
were riveted in, and had to be chiseled out. Thanks.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.