<VV> silicon brake fluid

Harry Yarnell Harry Yarnell" <hyarnell1@earthlink.net
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:51:18 -0400

I'm sorry silicon brake fluid is getting such a bad rep on this list. I like
it; used it in many a brake system rebuild. With no problems. Have observed
a master cylinder fluid level in a vehicle done with silicon 20 years prior,
and the fluid is crystal clear.

There is a procedure that many of us follow when bleeding brakes, and that's
dumping the  bled fluid back into the master cylinder. While that's ok for
glycol brake fluid, it's a no-no with silicon. Silicon aerates VERY easily,
and bled fluid is full of air. Always use fresh fluid when topping off the
master cylinder. The bled fluid can sit a day, and THEN it's reusable; after
its had a chance to allow the air to escape.

Harry Yarnell
perryman garage and orphanage
perryman, MD
hyarnell1@earthlink.net