<VV> Re: Help Removing Turbo

vairologist@juno.com vairologist@juno.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 00:32:33 -0400

> From: ACEWBANK@tampabay.rr.com
> Subject: <VV> help w/removing turbo on 64
>
> The shop manual says you need to remove the "V" clamp nut and clamp
----------------snip----------------
Smitty says:  I believe the "V" clamp in question is the 6" diameter
stainless steel one that holds the cast iron hot side of the turbo to the
aluminum cold side.  Usually has a special self locking nut on it.  Even
after removing the clamp it is sometimes difficult to separate the two
parts. This is assuming you are following the GM recommended way of
removal where you take the carb and compressor section off as a unit and
leave the exhaust section in place.
        Pay little or no attention to the advise of misguided left coast
non turbo drivers that pedal trashed out used parts.  For that matter pay
even less attention to east coast counterparts who pedal not only trashed
out parts but those which are also rusted beyond use.  You will notice I
used no names here in order to not offend, since I am a sweet and gentle
natured person.