<VV> Shifter problem

Larry Danko LDanko@wi.rr.com
Sun, 19 Sep 2004 19:54:55 -0500

Hello everyone. Well, here I am in trouble again. It seems that my 64 is
fighting me every step of the way.

I had my power train out. While it was out I disassembled the shifter (4 Spd
that has a Clark's quick shift installed) to clean, inspect and lube. I
reassembled according to the shop manual. Before I removed the coupler from
the shift tube I scribed it and reinstalled it to the scribe mark.

Now that the power train is back in and the shifter connected to the
transmission, the gear shift lever is hard to move and it doesn't want to go
into 1st or 4th. Neutral doesn't "feel" right either. Does anyone have a clue
as to what went wrong?

Also, the steps for adjustment in the shop manual tell you to put the
transmission in a certain gear but the manual doesn't tell you how to put it
in that gear. In other words, all the way in, out, in the middle, shaft
rotated, etc.

Does anyone have a fool proof method of adjusting the linkage?

I thank you all who take time to read this and respond.

Larry Danko
Racine, WI