<VV> LATE MODEL TIRE SIZE QUESTION

Murray, Rod Rod.Murray@disney.com
Mon, 20 Sep 2004 14:48:53 -0700

bill, john, seth, and bruce,

thanks for the super-fast response to my tires question...sounds like i'm on
the right track with the 205 60's, but will ultimately confirm at the tire
shop.  have to admit i'm not the wrench-turner i'd like to be, but am able to
do the basic mechanicals without major problems, and certainly having lots of
fun with the car overall.  added new top, paint, & interior since buying the
car 4 years ago...also changed out the 110 pg for a 140 4-speed this past year
(pic attached)...

john, the formula is especially cool - somebody certainly killed a few beers
figuring that one out.

thanks again!

rod

-----Original Message-----
From: John Sconiers [mailto:jsconiers@mac.com]
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 12:43 PM
To: Murray, Rod
Subject: Re: <VV> LATE MODEL TIRE SIZE QUESTION

Murray,

I just went through this.  Let me help you out and give you the formula.  A LM
corvair can go up to 25.5" (thats inches..and actually a little bigger than
that will fit) without any modifications.  When your looking for tires use the
following formula.

total inches = (rim size in inches) +  {[ (tire size) * (tread)] * 2 * .0394}

So for instance if you have a 15" rim with 205 R 45 tires it would be:

15 + (205 X .45 X 2 X .0394)

15 + (92.25 x 2 x .0394)

15 + (184.5 X .0394

15 + 7.2693

22.2693 which would be just under 3 inches from the maximum.

Or you could just ask a  tire company... :-)

JOHN