<VV> Corvairs Again - This time its the beast of the vairs

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 21:24:20 -0700

At 04:55 hours 09/21/2004 -0500, John Miller wrote:
>Tony Underwood wrote:
>
>Humm...  a very long time ago I read an article (Motor Trend I think) which
>described the name 'Corvair' as having come from a prototype vehicle (the
>'Vette "Nomad"?) which had offered the sportiness of the Corvette combined
>with the practicality of the Bel-Air, hence the name Corvair.   It was
>later applied to the version with which we are afflicted.
>Tony,
>
> I cant see that as true either.....because it is my understanding that the
>Corvair name on a "Vette" preceded the Corvette name......so here goes that
>whole space time continueum thing ......which came first the chicken or the
>Vette? Damn, Bruce look what you started now!

BZZZT!

Back up, regroup...

The name CORVETTE had already been decided for the new plastic two-seat
sporty Chevy which was scheduled to show up for the 1953 model year... just
like that new Chevy Bel-Air.   The Nomad'ish variant called Corvair was a
proposed model of an existing concept which simply didn't make the final
cut.    It doesn't mean that it had to come *Before* either Bel-Air or
Corvette.   Those two names were already cut into tooling for casting
badges before that Pre-Nomad Corvair thingy showed up.

tony..