<VV> What's going on here - carb adjustment

UltraMonzaWest@aol.com UltraMonzaWest@aol.com
Tue, 21 Sep 2004 22:55:17 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/2004 6:12:57 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
corvair65@verizon.net writes:

> Today I tried to use the method described in the '65 shop manual for
> setting
> your carbs.  I tee'd off my vacuum gauge and connected one of the two ends
> to the vacuum advance port on the right carb and the other end to the same
> port on the left side - I did remove the cover.  I followed the
> instructions, adjusting the idle up to 1200 rpm with a turnbuckle and then
> closed the hose to the R/H carb.  The vacuum decreased, in which case the
> book states to go back to idle position and lengthen the throttle rod on the
>
> L/H carb, which I did.  When I set the turnbuckle up again and set it for
> 1200 rpm, I could crimp the hose to the right carb and it hardly moved at
> all, which tells me they are set correctly.  However when I crimped the left
>
> hose, the vacuum gauge dropped down to zero.  The shop manual, doesn't say
> what to do in this situation.  What would cause this?

RUSS....stand back a moment....

1   Use the Horizontal ports! [  below throttle plate ]

2    Disconnect the turnbuckle and leave it off [ for now ].

3   Get the 2 PRI.  carbs equal at IDLE....

ONLY after they're balanced....

4   Adjust the turbuckle to slip in..

5  Raise the idle to 1000-1500 [  speed doesn't matter...you're only cheking
for balance off idle! / slop in linkage] with the CROSSSHAFT!  block in place

6  check vacume balance

7   The DRIVERS  rod is the only thing you need to adjust.....get the drivers
carb to equal the pass....1  turn  either way...no more!  should do it...
*
***************************************

Also when I used the method in the shop manual to adjust the mixture, the
needle was not steady on either side, but by backing the carb screw out some
it settled down somewhat, however I had to back the screw out much further
on the right side to get it at the same setting as the left.  It's out too
far as far as I'm concerned.  I fear it may vibrate itself out altogether.
*
***

The carb with the idle MIX  screw way out....

1   Float level is too low

2   Vacume leak somewhere...

Hope this helps...