<VV> Corvair

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:31:44 -0700

At 10:31 hours 09/21/2004 -0400, UltraMonzaWest@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 9/21/2004 6:36:59 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>tonyu@roava.net writes:
>

>> The name CORVETTE had already been decided for the new plastic two-seat
>> sporty Chevy which was scheduled to show up for the 1953 model year... just
>> like that new Chevy Bel-Air.   The Nomad'ish variant called Corvair was a
>> proposed model of an existing concept which simply didn't make the final
>> cut.   It doesn't mean that it had to come *Before* either Bel-Air or
>> Corvette.   Those two names were already cut into tooling for casting
>> badges before that Pre-Nomad Corvair thingy showed up.
>>

>> Tony..

***
>******************
>
>Gee...the pics I've seen show 3 CARS!      roadster=Vette,  SW = Nomad,  and
>FASBACK COUPE=Corvair....
>

>or is my memory gone?  ggg
>
>Matt

No, my confusion reigns in  describing the vehicles.   I have photos of all
three, the original '53 Vette roadster, the Vette "Nomad'ish wagon" and the
fastback Vette "Corvair".

My original premise stands.   The names Bel-Air and Corvette both predate
the emergence of these vehicles by at least a year.   There was plenty of
time to merge the names into "Corvair" for one of the Vette variants and
then a few years later wring it out and hang it on Ed Cole's baby.

They also reused the name Greenbrier, which was hung on Chevelle station
wagons long after FCs were dropped from production.

tony..