<VV> I'm new to the Corvair Hobby and need advice

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak@lmco.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 09:14:56 -0500

On Friday I'm going to look and possibly purchase a 1964 Spyder Conv.
The guy selling the car has been very up front about the car.  Here are
the details.

He told me the shifter was very sloppy, it always goes into every gear,
but sometimes when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd you wind up in 4th.
What are the possible causes?  Is this a transmission problem or a
shifter problem?  What do you guys think it would take to fix this
problem as far as time and money?

The car also has a '63 Spyder Turbo engine instead of the '64.  How much
less is a '63 turbo engine worth compared to the '64?  If I find a '64
turbo short block to make this vehicle correct, are the turbo and other
engine components (engine tin, distributor, etc) compatable with a '64
turbo engine?

I appreciate any input you can give me since I know practally nothing,
other than what I read, about Corvairs.

Tom