<VV> Wipers, was: English> hardtop thread

YENBAT@aol.com YENBAT@aol.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:59:50 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/2004 6:57:11 AM Pacific Standard Time,
airvair@richnet.net writes:

My dad  once had a '54 Chevy with the standard stovebolt 6, powerslide,
and vacuum  wipers. Talk about a deadly combination! It was the kind of
car that you  had to stand on the gas to pull away from the curb. VW
beetles could blow  its doors off. It only had two throttle positions,
idle and floorboard. In  a rainstorm, the way you got anywhere was to
stand on the gas til you  couldn't see anymore, then let off so the
wipers would beat furiously,  then stand on it some more, etc.

The General had a solution for that...

The 2 stage fuel pump. One side pumped fuel, the other was a vacuum  booster.
I had one
of these on my 54 Chevy Pickup and with the wiper motor not worn to death
the wipers
were very steady and reliable in all conditions. Including having the  "pedal
to the metal."

Most folks wouldn't spend the extra money to replace it in kind if it
failed. The cost was
considerably more. That and the fact that once they began to wear the  motors
became
very inefficient is the reason the Feds made auto manufacturers stop using
them.

He loved the car so much that he made me drive it to college. I  hated
it. Took me a couple of months to scrape up enough to go buy my  first
Corvair, so maybe it served its purpose.

It's said that God works in mysterious ways

BTW VW's ran the wipers off the spare tire air pressure.  Bazzare!

It wasn't the wipers themselves. They used spare tire pressure to operate
the windshield
WASHERS.

Clean your windshield....   Have a flat.... WALK!

Great system

Tim  Abney

Proud Member of
United  Steelworkers of America, Local 7600

Life Member McHenry County Illinois VietNow
Member American Legion Post #777 - San Bernardino, CA
Member  Society of the First Infantry Division (Big Red One)
KLIK - Lai Khe, RVN -  1967-68
Corsa Member
I.E.C.C.  President
1965 Corvair Monza Coupe - Valley Vairs Cover Car January 2003 - 2nd Edition
1964 Corvair Monza 4 Door - Back burner project
1961 Corvair Lakewood Wagon - Starting  restoration

[demime 0.98e removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of steelworkers%20logo.jpg]