<VV> I'm new to the Corvair Hobby and need advice

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak@lmco.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 10:15:12 -0500

Now for my next question.  What is the best price guide to buy/use?
I've looked at the Nada website, are their values for classic Corvairs
accurate?  I don't want to offend the buyer by offering to low, but I
don't want to over pay either.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Marc Marcoulides [mailto:marculides@sbcglobal.net]
	Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 10:03 AM
	To: VirtualVairs@corvair.org; Cepak, Tom A
	Subject: re: <VV> I'm new to the Corvair Hobby and need advice

	you wrote...
	On Friday I'm going to look and possibly purchase a 1964 Spyder
Conv. The guy selling the car has been very up front about the car. Here
are the details. He told me the shifter was very sloppy, it always goes
into every gear, but sometimes when down shifting from 3rd to 2nd you
wind up in 4th. What are the possible causes? Is this a transmission
problem or a shifter problem? What do you guys think it would take to
fix this problem as far as time and money? The car also has a '63 Spyder
Turbo engine instead of the '64. How much less is a '63 turbo engine
worth compared to the '64? If I find a '64 turbo short block to make
this vehicle correct, are the turbo and other engine components (engine
tin, distributor, etc.) compatible with a '64 turbo engine? I appreciate
any input you can give me since I know practically nothing, other than
what I read, about Corvairs.

	In my opinon you should get ready to have lots of fun with a
great car. There is a little bias in that opinion. The repair to poor
shifting usually means replacing the connection at the trans (it's worn)
and that part is available from Clarks Corvair Parts (www.corvair.com)
Shelborne Falls MA. The Corvair Society (www.corvair.org) markets a
"Tech Guide" and it outlines the repair process as well as many
necessary repair and maintance procedures you will encounter. I also
reccomend getting a shop manuel for that year.
	I have had a 65 Turbo and when the engine failed I was able to
replace it with a 63 engine with some adaptation. It cost me less money
and at the time I needed the car running and price was important. The
auto collector purist would be offended but you can still enjoy the car.