<VV> hardtops--further educating the masses

Wrsssatty@aol.com Wrsssatty@aol.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:32:07 EDT

Well, since we're on the subject...

The first "hardtops" were marketed by GM.  How it happened is that a GM
executive noticed that his wife always ordered a new convertible every year but she
never put the top down.  Finally, he asked her why this was and she explained
that she liked the open, uncluttered appearance of the car's profile when she
rolled the windows down all the way.  He then figured that she wasn't the
only one and that there might be interest in a vehicle that looked like a
convertible but offered a fixed roof.  These models were first called "hardtop
convertibles" because they looked like convertibles but had tops that were "hard."
I'm writing this from my office and don't have access to my back issues of
Collectible Automobile, etc. but my recollection is that the first such models
debuted around '48 and were high end models such as Cadillacs.  Of course 4-door
hardtops appeared much later, in mid-year '55 on the Oldsmobiles, Buicks and
Cadillacs.  The popularity of the models and their ability to command higher
prices prompted other  makers to jump on the band wagon and, as has been
discussed here before, by the late '50s even 4-door station wagons were available as
B-pillarless hardtops.  Manufacturers began phasing out the pillarless models
in the late '60s-early '70s as concern mounted with the advent of federal
safety regulations that rollover standards would soon be going into effect.  This
coincided with that era's abandonment of true convertibles.  GM's last
hardtops appeared for model year '76 with the interesting addition of an "opera
window" in the C pillar of the 4-door hardtops.  Those models of Olds 88s, 98s,
Buick LeSabres, etc. were retired for the new down-sized '77s which were not
fielded as hardtops or convertibles.   To the best of my knowledge, the only true
hardtop currently available on the U.S. market is a quite pricey 2-door from
Mercedes.

Bill Stanley