<VV> Re: FC is Cab Forward

Tony Underwood tonyu@roava.net
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:35:44 -0700

At 08:52 hours 09/23/2004 -0500, J R Read_HML wrote:
>Actually - I believe that it stands for (F)irst to the (C)ollision!  At
>least is seems that way when you are sitting way up front!

Heh...

You wanna talk FC?   Close to the front?    Drive a Fiat 600 Multipla.

My knees are 4" away from the front end sheet metal, gotta be careful not
to spread the knees too far apart as I straddle the steering column
right-angle gearbox (you have to see it to understand) or my right knee
could get in the way of the studs holding the FIAT badge on the front of
the vehicle.     My left foot, when resting on the floorboard, leaves my
toes up against the reinforcement bracket that supports the front bumper
bolts.    By the way, I can pretzel the front bumper of this car with my
bare hands when it's off the vehicle.   I had one (in a stash of parts I
acquired) that was dented and creased and scarred up, and pretty much
useless since I also had several other Multipla bumpers in nice shape.   I
folded it up and stuffed it in the garbage can.    In theory, about all a
Multipla bumper would do is maybe keep a soft thump from another car's
bumper off of your paint.

This vehicle is the living example of being "up close and personal" should
it ever run into anything else.    Fortunately, it won't go fast enough to
crash.    And its flat face presents enough wind resistance to slow it
quickly should you ever manage to get it up to any sort of respectable
speed.

It's like driving a refrigerator crate.    It's also great fun.     And,
I've seen refrigerators with larger engines...

tony..