<VV> Odometer Problem

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:41:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/25/2004 12:21:27 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tmbrennan@comcast.net writes:

The  odometer on my 66 Corsa quit.  The speedo still works fine.   Removing
the
cable and spinning the speedo by hand (or with a drill), I can  see the 10ths
of the odometer move some.  But when I re-install the  cable and drive the
car,
the odometer doesn't work,  What actually  drives the odometer?  Is it the
"wire" inside the cable?  Or is  it the little brass coupling on the shaft of
the wire?  Any  ideas??

Tim Brennan

Tim - If the Speedo works, it is not a cable problem. You have tried the
reset cable under the dash, making sure it isn't hung on something? Otherwise
the problem is likely inside the speedo/Odo housing in the dash. Time  to pull
it out and take it apart - This is actually a fun job. Clear a place on  the
dining room table and check the exploded views in the Catalogs and manuals.  It
is likely a gear wear problem or a loose clip that holds them together. You
may have to search out a working Corsa unit to cannabilize for spare parts, I
believe the gears (if that is what has failed) are not available separately
for  the Corsa Odo. - Seth