<VV> Brake question

Geoffrey A. Johnson geoffj@unm.edu
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:28:03 -0600

OK it is a little hard to guess as to what those piece are.... But my best
guess would be the washer that goes under the spring on the post that hold
the shoe on.  The washer goes under the spring on the shoe that does not
ahve the automatic adjuster.  The other part might be the same piece for
the side with the automatic adjuster.  It does need to be there if it is
not as that is what holds the adjuster in place.  Are these new
shoes/drums?  They may be just slightly to big.  If they are on they will
wear into place.  If they wont go on the shoes may have to be arced to fit
by a brake shop, where they grind just enough off the shoe so they fit on.
Also the hub where it meets the drum tends to rust and expand just enough
to make a really really difficult fit.  Sand this area lightly to remove
the rust before putting back together.
Good Luck!

-Geoff Johnson
Doing a entire brake system replacement on a 65 500 coupe today.

--On Saturday, September 25, 2004 6:00 PM -0500 Lauren C Mizel