<VV> Brake question

Lauren C Mizel slmizel@juno.com
Sat, 25 Sep 2004 18:00:37 -0500

OK...next question.  I just reinstalled the brakes on the right rear
wheel after replacing the hub assembly.  It has been over a decade since
I have done drum brakes and I had to keep going back to the dirver's side
to see where all the springs went, etc.  From what I can tell it is all
correct (I did end up with a small washer and a little metal
piece...round and looks kind of like a miniature oil funnel...big at the
top and flat but curving out in the middle to a small hole...the whole
thing is about the same diameter as the little spring that holds the
brake shoes on).  Here's the rub: when I tried to put the drum back on
over the shoes it was super tight and off center..had to bang it around
to get it centered but the shoes were so tight on the drum that it would
only spin with great effort.  I tried spinning the little spinner thing
at the bottom to make more room, but it is all the way in and no luck.  I
read the shop manual, but as usual for me there is a big gap between what
I read and what I can do (unless there are pictures :).  Any wisdom for a
drum brake rookie?

I haven't tracked down the short in w/the clutch cable yet...but will
hopefully get to dig into that tomorrow.  I'm all in for today.

Steve Mizel
CORSA
Show Me CC
65 Corsa Vert 140/4