<VV> The latest on the Resurrection (long, and only for the truly devoted)

Stephen Upham contactsmu@sbcglobal.net
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 00:13:55 -0500

	I ordered the brake cylinders by mistake as Ken had wanted just the
rebuild kits.  He thought that putting them on might be more than we
bargained for because of the possibility of creating more problems than
we would be solving by trying to separate cylinders from brake lines
that had been in place for forty years.  We decided that since we had
the parts anyway, that we would remove the drums and take a look
anyway.  Well, it turned out that replacing the cylinders was the only
recourse.  There was a brownish goo coming out of the cylinders (the
master was in just as bad condition).  Perhaps it was water or another
substance.  More on my suspicions at a later date as I will need to
test to confirm my hypothesis and because no-one would believe it if I
didn't have proof.
	Anyway, Ken was able to replace the said cylinders without incident
and now I have four brand new brake cylinders!  I spent the afternoon,
while Ken replaced the cylinders, going to six different auto parts
stores in Plano, Texas looking for anyone who might have the flexible
front brake hoses, shoes and would be willing to turn the drums, TODAY.
  As it happened, I walked into the O'Reilly's first by mistake as I was
supposed to go to the NAPA.  Realizing my mistake, I turned around and
went to the NAPA who wanted 35.99 each for the lines, didn't have the
right shoes and didn't turn drums, to Southwest Auto who didn't have
the shoes, couldn't do the drums until Monday, and had to order the
lines for $15 each (which I eventually ordered).
	I went to the next closest O'Reilly's to try to get the shoes and
drums turned.  The gal "helping" me told me that they wouldn't be able
to turn the drums in the same day as there were four others in front of
me and that the shoes were $27 each side.  I waited for a few minutes,
thinking what to do, she left to go to the back and while I was
waiting, another employee asked if I had been helped.  I told him what
the "lady" had told me and he stated that, "no" they could turn the
drums in about "three to four hours".  I told him that I had been told
that they couldn't be done today.  By this time the "lady" was back at
the counter.  She said, I told you that they couldn't be done
immediately, but could be done today.  I thought to myself, "THAT'S A
D____D LIE!" , but I bit my tongue.
	 I ended up returning to the same O'Reilly's that I had started at
three hours earlier, getting the drums turned for $8 each in a hour and
a half, getting both front shoes for $13 and the back shoes for the
same price.  We replaced the master cylinder with a new dual cylinder,
cleaned and painted the drums (will have the rear drums turned Monday)
and replaced the shoes on all four wheels.  Ken had also reinstalled
the front anti-sway bar after cleaning, painting and installing the new
bushings using zinc plated nuts and bolts.

I HOPE I will finally be able to drive my car for the FIRST time next
weekend.
I'm starting to get a little crazy!

I'm pretty sure we've all been there.  Wish me luck!

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas

Mid prod. #18732 -1965 Monza sedan 110 (0.030 over, practically new
everything), Sierra Tan - Saddle, PG, A/C, original AM/FM, clock, tint,
oil bath air filter, w/ 77K
(soon to be out of group red for the first time in twelve years)

Corvairium II