<VV> '64 Spyder Convert. Questions

Cepak, Tom A tom.a.cepak@lmco.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 09:45:11 -0500

I went to look at for possible purchase a '64 Spyder Convert and I have
a few questions.

Question #1:  How do you know if the turbo is actually providing boost?
At idle the turbo gauge showed negative.   Under heavy acceleration the
guage never went above zero.

Question #2:  The shifter was very sloppy and I had a hard time finding
the correct gear and when shifting into 4th there was a buzz/grind.
When I asked last week the general response about the shifter slop was
"Likely the shifter problem is in the coupler connecting to the shift
shaft of the transmission.  Usually, but not always, the pin wears and
can be easily replaced for less than $10.  This helps the issue and
usually cures it.  If the shift coupler is worn, it can be replaced also
for a little more money."  Now after actually driving it my concern is
the fourth gear grind.  In your opinion, would replacing the above
mentioned parts fix this grind/buzz problem?

Question #3: I don't do body work so this question about rust is going
to sound stupid, but I'm asking anyway.  There were 2 areas in which the
rust on the bottom of the car actually went through.  One was on the
driver's side rear pan, it was between 1/8" and 1/2" wide and spanned
12" in length.  The other was more like a crack that was about 6" inches
in length.  Can these be repaired without replacing the pans?   There
was also a 3" area of rust in the trunk area right in front of the
finder well right next to the bottom pan.  Can you just cut out an area
and reweld a new piece of metal?

There were a few other problems but I think I could fix these.  There
was an electrical problem with the rear tail/break lights.  It had the
'63 turbo engine instead of the '64.  While driving 50 mph in the far
left lane, I decided to slow down and make a U-turn.  To my surprise
when I pressed on the breaks, the right front tire locked up and I did
an unexpected two lane change to the right.  I'm glad no one was around.
The Tachometer didn't work, the fuel gauge didn't work.  There was only
about 1" of throttle peddle, but I couldn't adjust it higher in the
engine compartment.  The steering seem to have a lot of play, or either
I wasn't used to driving a car with this type of steering.  There was
some minor leaking of the transmission, I think from just sitting and
not being driven.  There was some oil leaking from the lifter covers,
again, I think from sitting.

For the good side, The rockers were good as tested by the
recommendations in the Corvair Basics book, the paint although not
perfect looked good.  New top, boot, and interior.  The engine idled
smooth and fired on all cylinders.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Thanks in advanced

Tom