<VV> '64 Spyder Convert. Questions

Duane, Jim Jim.Duane@DigitalNet.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:47:53 -0400

Hi Tom.  Answers in <<<   >>>

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org] On Behalf Of Cepak, Tom A
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 10:45 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> '64 Spyder Convert. Questions

I went to look at for possible purchase a '64 Spyder Convert and I have
a few questions.

Question #1:  How do you know if the turbo is actually providing boost?
At idle the turbo gauge showed negative.   Under heavy acceleration the
guage never went above zero.

<<<Most likely, there is no boost being generated.  Although not
calibrated, most of the boost gauges will go positive when generating
boost.>>>

Question #2:  The shifter was very sloppy and I had a hard time finding
the correct gear and when shifting into 4th there was a buzz/grind.
SNIP

<<<Grinding?  IMHO, Sounds more like clutch operation to me.  A clutch
not completely disengaged will act as you describe.  It could also be a
tranny problem.>>>

Question #3: I don't do body work so this question about rust is going
to sound stupid, but I'm asking anyway.  There were 2 areas in which the
rust on the bottom of the car actually went through.  One was on the
driver's side rear pan, it was between 1/8" and 1/2" wide and spanned
12" in length.  The other was more like a crack that was about 6" inches
in length.  Can these be repaired without replacing the pans?   There
was also a 3" area of rust in the trunk area right in front of the
finder well right next to the bottom pan.  Can you just cut out an area
and reweld a new piece of metal?

<<<There are a number of products like fiberglass, POR 15 patch kits,
PC-7 epoxy, etc. that I and others use without the need for the "metal
part".  Unless you're into trophies, I would investigate them.>>>

SNIP
As in the case of my car, I didn't replace my floorboards as they
weren't that bad.  I used a galvanized piece of .030 steel, stainless
steel rivets, and PC-7.  No rust, no leaks, happy me.

Jim Duane
66 180 Corsa CVT
Colonial Corvairs
CORSA