<VV> Corvair Firsts (more)

LonzoVair@aol.com LonzoVair@aol.com
Mon, 27 Sep 2004 22:35:04 EDT

At the Auburn-Cord-Deusenberg Museum in Auburn, IN there is a 1905
Franklin... rear engine and air cooled (all Franklins were aircooled, and they made a
V-12 I believe towards the end)... Wasn't Hudson doing the unitized construction
in the late 40s before Nash? The whole "step-down" thing? I could be wrong on
that... There is also a Tucker at the ACD Museum, and it certainly had a
crumple zone... I believe the Corvair was the first car to take ALL these cool
things and package them into the little bundle of love we all adore...
Crosleys never had an aluminum block... the COBRA engines were COpper BRAzed
sheet metal blocks, and the CIBA FOUR was the Cast Iron Block Assembly... they
also made an air cooled engine from 1939-1942, a one cylinder Waukesha (sp?)
up front in the old "Hawk Nose" designed Crosleys... cool little cars...
Now, let the games begin!
Lonzo
PS. Was talking with the preacher after church yesterday and he told me about
a Corvair panel van sitting about 4 miles from me... soon as I get a chance
I'll see if there is any hope for it...
Later,
Lonzo

Lon Anderson in White Mills, KY
CORSA, Corvanatics, Central Kentucky Corvair, Derby City Corvair
Quart Low Quarterly editor
1961 Greenbrier pg, daily driver
1963 Greenbrier 4spd.
1964 700 sedan 95/pg