<VV> Varying Compression Readings?

N. Joseph Potts pottsf at msn.com
Sat Apr 2 12:51:48 EST 2005

I've been checking compression for many years, and have developed certain
habits. While I follow these habits as consistently as I can, I can't say
they are "right."
     It's my THEORY that the "compression" of a cylinder "is" the MAXIMUM
that the cylinder can pump the gauge up to. The reality, if there even IS
one, is probably otherwise, but in this, consistency is more important than
absolute accuracy. That said, I COUNT the times I turn the engine over to
get any cylinder's compression. My number is six. Five might be just as good
(consistent), and seven, too. Two (which you used) obviously will give you
lower readings. Maybe THAT is better. It certainly drains the battery less
(and the battery draining is ONE of several things that can make your
first-tested cylinders read higher than your later-tested cylinders, and is
ONE of the reasons why sometimes I "go around again" just to try to level
things out across cylinders).
     Hope this hasn't deepened your confusion too much. At the end of the
day, I tend to be a bit philosophical about compression readings.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C