<VV> Varying Compression Readings?

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sat Apr 2 13:59:03 EST 2005

At 12:51 PM 4/2/2005 -0500, N. Joseph Potts wrote:
>While I follow these habits as consistently as I can, I can't say
>they are "right."
>     consistency is more important than absolute accuracy.
>  That said, I COUNT the times I turn the engine over to
>get any cylinder's compression. My number is six. Five might be just as good
>(consistent), and seven, too.
>Miami, Florida USA
>1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

Hi Grant and Joe,
I have been doing this right (or wrong!) also for many years.  I have
watched it over the years and see that the first one reading is always
lowest, then slightly higher on the second one, slowly increasing less
until about 5 or 6 is about the max.  So I am with Joe and typically use
either 5 or 6, depending upon when I catch it.  Always remember to run wide
open throttle and MAKE DARN sure you replace the throttle return spring
when restarting the engine.  If you ever forget, the fastest way to stop
the engine it to pull the coil high tension lead, knowing that you might
get electrically bit doing that, but you might save an engine that way.  It
is also possible you might damage an electronic ignition, but most are
protected sufficiently.  Still a lot less expensive and easier than
rebuilding an engine.

I also like to run this test when the engine has been warmed up.  That way
there is consistent oiling of the cylinders and the valves and lifters have
had time to get warmed up and not leaked down with possible erroneous readings.

I have found running WOT versus non-WOT curious.  I have had some engines
have higher compression (or less!) running non-WOT.  I still don't know
what is with that, but find running WOT produces more consistent
compression readings.

While I have advocated performing a cylinder compression test as THE first
check on engine condition, I now prefer a cylinder leakdown test.  It
provides more definitive data on just how well the engine is providing
compression and where the leakage is going.  Consistency for this test is
just as important.

HTH,

Larry