<VV> Directional Light Mechanism

Bob & Kathy Gilbert bgilbert at redshift.bc.ca
Sat Apr 2 15:59:31 EST 2005

Hi,

I just had a moderately serious setback with my 66 convertible. Through the
process of checking a problem with the signals I found out I had a high
resistance on one lead deep inside the turn signal mechanism. Nothing
visible - it was somewhere in the plastic junction block inside the turn
signal mechanism itself.

After looking at a number of alternatives I decided it was time to replace
the mechanism with its counterpart from my parts car.

I checked the manual and it suggested that the turn signal mechanism simply
slid off after undoing some screws.

After about an hour I managed to remove the mechanism but sadly only by
breaking it. Upon careful examination I found an almost invisible, grease
covered split ring holding the bearing on and no mention of it in the manual
- aaargh!

Now to the parts car - how do I remove that split ring to release the
bearing to release the turn signal mechanism?

Thanks,
Bob
PS In doing this I now know more than I ever wanted to know about how the
turn signals work!!