<VV> early clutch failure?

Jim Briggs jim_a_b3 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 3 12:58:30 EDT 2005

Hi all,
Went to a local car show yesterday with a friend and his 4+ Vair family.  He
had trashed half the night to get a coulpe of them ready for the show.  One
barely made it 8 miles into the front gate of the show befor it gave up its
clutch.  Symptoms were lots of smoke, shifter movement at the trans, clutch
lever movement at the trans, no engagement.  After the early vert was pushed
into place and allowed to rest most of the day we tried to start it with
clutch engaged and in gear. there was no movement of the car at all. The
engine was a new install with a new clutch disc but the same pressure plate
that came out of it and was working prior.  I seem to recall that  there
were differences in pressure plate/clutch disc combos that might cause this
problem.  The drivetrain will be dropped tomorrow.

Any suggestions as to the cause and remedies to prevent another occurance.
This car is supposed to travel the 2 1/2 drive to the Bass Lake Bash next
Friday.  Thanks in advance!!!

Jim Briggs
2-running 65's and 1-66 Corsa V8 in progress