<VV> early clutch failure?

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Sun Apr 3 13:36:52 EDT 2005

Hi Jim
WAIT!!  Don't drop that power train until you have checked it out a little
more.  Since this is an Early, see if one of the axle yokes have stripped
splines.  This will result in a No-Go condition.  Normally it will result
in some noise of the sheared splines passing by one another on the axle shaft.

Test by blocking the front wheels REALLY well.  Look under the car and see
if an axle yoke is turning as the engine idles, but no wheels turn.

With a No-Go condition, it is generally not a clutch, but something broken
in the power transmission part of the system - something like an Early axle
yoke with stripped splines, broken spider gears, or stripped pinion
internal splines in the differential.  Whenever you separate the diff and
tranny, check the condition of the internal pinion splines in the
diff.  They are frequently worn about 1/2 or more.  They appear "L" shaped
when viewed with a good flashlight down that hole looking rearward from the
removed tranny location end.

If you swapped tranny's you could have the wrong input shaft, but the car
would not have moved after that installation.

One possibility where this could be the clutch would be if the clutch disk
center welds are broken and causing a No-Go condition.

Good luck that it is nothing more than a stripped spline on the axle yoke.

--Larry