<VV> Brake Job Watch Out

GYoungwolf at aol.com GYoungwolf at aol.com
Sun Apr 3 23:13:02 EDT 2005

I just completed re-doing a brake job where a very reputable local repair
shop previously worked on the brakes of an early convertible. They were about the
only place that would work on Corvairs until I showed up :-). While I didn't
find a lot that was wrong, the biggie was a very wrong lower shoe connecting
spring on one of the rear wheels (looked like one of the big springs that holds
the adjuster together - the ones you shouldn't remove :-). As such, the
adjuster could not work and the brakes were worn unevenly around the car (causing
it to stop crooked). And then there was that dreaded moment when all the parts
are off, tools are laid out, and you open the new box of shoes from the major
vendor only to discover that you have 1 leading and 3 trailing shoes :-(.
Luckily, it was not the other way around, so I could remanufacture a leading one.
The moral of the story, I guess, is that you should check the work you have
done, regardless...
The Carbmeister