<VV> I am always going 40

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Apr 5 22:08:14 EDT 2005

Disconnect speedo cable from the back of the head.  Should only be finger
tight, or may need a pliers just to start it.  Spray WD40 into the speedo
head through the hole where the square cable end came out.  Turn the round
piece on the back of the speedo a few times - to spread the WD40 around
inside the head - and check to see that the needle and the odo are moving.
This is going to take a minute or so of turning.  If no movement, you need a
new speedo head (but I don't think this is the case in this instance).

You can lube the cable as well (this can be very messy) by pulling the
insert out and using speedo lube (available at your FLAPS).  But, chances
are that you are going to find a damaged insert and will need to replace.
If the insert is damaged, the casing probably is also damaged.  You might
get away with just an insert for a while, but it is quite likely that you
will need to replace the entire speedo cable (housing and insert), so you
might as well place the order and have it on hand.  You MAY have to remove
the grease cap on the LF wheel in order to be sure the bottom end of the
insert gets properly seated.

The USUAL symptom with a damaged insert/casing is a bouncing needle.  The
insert catches and releases repeatedly on the inside of the casing with the
needle waving back and forth between very slow and very fast.

Oh, if you buy an insert locally, have yours available for comparison (both
length and direction of windings).  The replacement must be wound the same
way - I forget which is correct at the moment.

Later, JR