<VV> Re: 140hp tourqe converter id?

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Thu Apr 7 23:59:02 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/7/05 2:59:08 PM US Mountain Standard Time, N2VZD at aol.com
writes:

> if a converter has an orange dab of paint on it would that make it a 140hp?
> i have one i found that was marked as 67 with low miles and has orange on
> it,
> it looks new so im putting it in my van.  cant find it mentioned in any of
> my
> many books but they show orange on other 140 parts so thats where i got the
> idea.
> regards, tim colson

Tim,
I believe so. I also wrote about it in THE CLASSIC CORVAIR. I have no first
hand knowledge or experience to relay to you unfortunately, but a correspondent
on that "other forum" who apparently worked at or for Chevrolet discribed
having observed that the internals of the torque converters were different for
the 140 hp engine.Specifically the stator as I remember. This correspondent has
frequently offered in depth advice on Corvairs and their design with
apparently accurate information, so I tend to accept his info on the converters too.
Probably the differences, had to do with the higher stall speed.
Regards,
Bob Helt