<VV> Engine Prelubrication

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Apr 8 13:02:29 EDT 2005

Guys asking:

Probably as many answers as people responding. Really probably no "best way", just the way each responder finds works best for them.

My Way:

GM Engine Assembly Lubricant---available from your local GM dealer--for bearings and suchlike.  And/OR

"Lubriplate" ---What GM used in the 60's to best of my knowledge--Also availble at GM dealers, NAPA, etc.

I have used both with success.

Engine Break in Oil??/

I use Castrol 30HD.  change at 200, 500, 1000 miles, using GOOD filters. Afterwards??

Show cars and non daily drivers (Corvairs), I still recommend Castrol 30HD year round, if you live where it's really hot or you drive in slow moving parades, substitue a quart or two of Castrol 20W50.

Daily Drivers----After Break-in, Castrol Syntec or AMSOIL.  Closest to staight 30wt you can get. Spend the money, it's worth it.

"ULTRA" Solution---Amalie re-refined, whatever you can drain from engines stored in the yard, it's all oil, after all! <G>

Hank