<VV> Engine Assembly Lubrication

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 13:06:22 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/8/05 9:46:53 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
rizakoyt at yahoo.com writes:

> What type of moly grease
> should I use on the cam lobes?  What type of oil
> should I use when precoating parts during assembly?
>
> Also, kind of along this same topic, I was wondering
> how I should break in the engine.  What kind of oil,
> for how long?
> Should the eng be loaded with a detergent or non
> detergent, HD-30, 10W-30..., for a break-in period of
> how long?  All that good stuff.

You will probably get some differing opinions, but here are mine.

For moly grease, do not use wheel bearing/chassis grease. You want to use a
thing called "assembly lube" available at all parts houses. The reason is that
assembly lube is oil soluable. It will dissolve on oil. Chassis grease will
not.

For oil , use NOTHING but the best brand of SL or SM rated oil. Do NOT ever
use non-detergent oil, which is rated as SA or SB oil. That stuff is 1930's
technology and can ruin your engine. Never use non-detergent oil. Also avoid
synthetic oil until you've got a few miles on the new engine. Main reason is the
cost of replenishing oil during breakin. Use 10W-30 oil for breakin and all
other uses where the temp range is moderate. Use 5W-30 for extremely low winter
temps and maybe 20W50 for really high summer temps.
After starting the engine first the first time, change oil and filter after
about 500 miles to dump the breakin wear material. After that change oil every
3000 to 50000 miles for the life of the engine.

HTH
Regards,
Bob Helt