<VV> I think I've seen it all....Perimeter Seals

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 8 15:21:17 EDT 2005

--- Tony Underwood <tonyu at roava.net> wrote:
> >Racers seldom use the perimeter seal...and I've
> known several street cars
> >that didn't as well...

 Sorry tony, I know Matt wrote the above.

  I do run a perimeter seal on YS-117, for 2 reasons -
1 - Jim Schardt does it, and I model my car off of
his.

2 - and why... is because a Corvair at speed has a
tendancy at speed to want to draw air up into the
engine compartment. This is exacerbated when you don't
run lower shrouds. The seal, keeps the air from
recirculating and ensures that fresh (unheated air)
stays out. Also keep in mind that some high
compression cars do not like to restart and can
sometimes sit on the grid of extended periods of time,
recirculating.
 Warren L. has also written/spoken of running an air
damn in front of the rear wheels to help negate the
positive air flow through the engine compartment. I
like the idea, but have not yet made this mod. I'd
better stop now before I really say more than I know.

 I welcome any counter-points as well!

 Mike
 YS-117