<VV> Brakes - something simple?

GYoungwolf at aol.com GYoungwolf at aol.com
Sat Apr 9 13:08:27 EDT 2005

While I will never be a brakemeister, I have done at least 100 "brake jobs"
over the years, but today ran into a brick wall. I am redoing all the brakes on
a '64 convertible. I purchased new shoes from Clarks and had all the drums
turned at a reputable shop that has done many of them for me. I disassembled and
cleaned and lubed the adjusters, etc. BUT, when I tried to replace the drums,
they wouldn't go on! The adjusters are completely closed, the shoes are on
correctly (smaller ones in the front of the wheel, longer pads in back),
everything appears to be nice and tight and there are no gaps at the top or bottom of
the shoes (to the top pin and against the adjuster at the bottom). I tried
rounding the edge of the shoes slightly to get the drums started, but they ain't
going. I compared the pads with another set, and they are the same thickness.
While they were a little snug when they came off, at least they did. The only
thing that looks out of the "ordinary" is that the anti-rattle bars on the
rear wheels look a bit shorter than they should, and I had to pry the parking
brake lever away a bit to get them in properly (the springs are on the right
sides).
(I have written about these previously when I discovered a non-adjuster type
spring holding the bottom of one pair of rear shoes together.)
What have I missed?????
Thanks,
Grant