<VV> Brake Problem Solved

vairologist at juno.com vairologist at juno.com
Sun Apr 10 02:59:12 EDT 2005

> From: GYoungwolf at aol.com
> Subject: <VV> Re: brake problem solved

> Thanks to several of you who tipped me off that I might have to find
> a way to take up some more room with the brake adjuster. I took about
1/8"
> off the  length and it was enough
---------------snip------------
Smitty says:  Damn shame this problem has been known to exist for about
the last 10 years and it still pops up.  The correct answer is not to
modify our Corvairs to make up for someone elses screwup.  Ask the
vendors and basically their answer is" there is no problem", "but if
there is send them back and we will exchange them".  Even though I have
addressed the problem with FLAPS and brake remanufacturing companys, I
have no answers.  I have laid newly manufactured shoes (the metal part)
down alongside OEM shoes and measured up a storm and not been able to
determine where the fault lies.  Some of the vendors will pay for one way
postage on faulty parts returned but they claim it is not cost productive
to stick the shoes on an empty backing plate with the adjuster closed up
all the way to see if a 9" drum can be fitted over them.  I think they
deal with a cheaper postal system than I do.