<VV> Weld it? Also, Visited my grammar, she was well

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 16:26:18 EDT 2005

=== bearing housing of my turbo on my 65 Corsa has a
hairline crack which leaks oil. It is an approx. 1/2
in. vertical crack,  and is right in the area where
the oil drain elbow screws in.===

Bill,

If is largely a straight-line crack, here's another
possible fix: stop drill the end of the crack with the
finest bit you can get. This stops the crack. Use JB
Weld or another epoxy-base compound to fill the crack,
keeping it out of the threads. To keep from spreading
it open again, screw in the elbow until it just snugs
up, with a little blue Loctite to seal and lock the
joint.
If welding is your option and you can't find someone
local, I suggest my daughter and son-in-law in Denver.
"Hands of Fire" is state certified in something like
11 disciplines. He can do pipe, tanks, stainless,
aluminum and even pot metal. His stainless looks like
it was cast when he's done with a repair.

=====I disagree, just because one misspells a word or
two they are not illiterate. =====

Gotta go with Larry on this one. Writing the Queen's
English well was seldom required to rise in the world.
Big shot execs, engineers and scientists didn't have
to write well because some smart typist or secretary,
making a lot closer to minimum wage, had the smarts to
keep their bacon out of the fire. Now, Microsoft Word
has a spell and grammar checker that work as you type,
and even that isn't always correct.  If you stopped
and watched it work as you type, you'd be amazed at
just how much gets screwed up just putting something
on paper.
Sure, I know you can't depend on life's good fortunes
(breaks) to stop your car, but I can tell you that if
you hold my feet to the fire over something as minor
as misspelled word, I won't want to have much more to
do with what comes out of you any more. I will usually
find ignoring you more important than what you have to
say.
Larry's 100% right. If this is truly a friendly forum,
we all have to own up to the fact that people are
people. In "Blazing Saddles'" town meeting Howard
Johnson (the hotel owner) said Gabby Johnson was
right, just after the town drunk spouted a blast of
incoherent drivel. He gave Gabby the benefit of the
doubt. The message was more important than the medium.

Let people make their misteaks.

Chuck Kubin