<VV> windshield panel replacement question

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Thu Apr 7 02:55:06 EDT 2005

At 03:37 hours 04/06/2005, John McMahon wrote:
>I've just received my new windshield panel, and I'm pondering how to
>install it.  I knew beforehand that it was not shaped quite right, and
>sure enough it's not.  Anyway, if anyone has replaced this panel, I'd
>really like to hear any advice that you have, since I'd rather not do this
>twice!

The panel is not curved to  fit the windshield... it's close but not quite
right.  The center area is too low, leaves an uneven gap.  There are a
couple of options if you really want to do something about it although  if
you're not critical the panel will work as-is and you can rely on the
windshield stainless trim to make up the difference.   It's a close fit but
it will cover the gap, barely.

If you want it to fit better, you can work the panel with hammer and dolly
to swell the "low" area of the lip and take some of the bow error out of
the panel.   Not easy, takes some dedicated and educated hammer work and it
still only goes so far.   I did it to the panel I welded onto my ragtop and
it took over an hour and lots of hammering to swell the "error" side and
still keep it reasonably even.  It's not easy but it's possible.   The
problem is the "z bend" on the lip of the panel which makes it hard to
"swell" the lip without hammering "around a corner"... attempting to do it
without going around that "corner" results in a warped panel so you'll need
to swell the "channel" area and the visible face of the panel as well as
the lip to keep the panel from warping.   Not very easy.

Or, if you're a talented fellow with a torch, you could heat it and
"stretch" the low side a tad and hope you don't warp or kink it as you
bring the "low" area up a little.    It takes some experience to get it
right... if you don't trust your own talents, take a windshield and the
panel to a body shop and tell them to rebow the panel to fit the
windshield.     Show them how the middle of the panel is "low" against the
glass, leaving a larger gap in the center than on the ends.  They'll know
what to do.

Or, you can simply cut/notch the panel to correct the bow error and then
reweld the seam... this is not a big thing if you order the panel via mail
order since it shows up cut into two pieces already (too long to ship
as-is).    If you buy it across the counter it comes in a single piece and
of course doesn't quite fit as close as the original.    The cut/notch
won't be much... 1/32" will likely be more than enough.    Two cuts located
on the "thirds" of the panel will make the correction more
linear.    You'll need to check the fit over and over.

Keep in mind the windshield panel also has to fit against the front air
grill panel.   Some minor corrections might be needed there as well.   Not
a huge problem for a regular paint-body man.

Again, the panel *can* be used as-is if you're careful about the stainless
trim being able to cover the gap.

If you're lucky enough to turn up an NOS GM replacement panel (I've seen
them) you have no problems to worry about.    But the repro panel has just
a little too much bow.

Last comment:   Remember that the panel also has to follow not only the
lower edge of the windshield, it should follow the plane of the window as
well to provide a smooth line from the glass to the air inlet grill panel
to the trunk lid.   Attempts to tack & bend the panel to fit the windshield
results in a twist-warp which won't match the line between the windshield
and the air grill panel.

tony..