<VV> Alt light glows on LM

Charles Morgan charliemorgan at comcast.net
Tue Apr 12 15:05:25 EDT 2005

Ewell, I think (but am not positive) that this is what's going on:  Look at
Fig 2c, page 6Y-5 of the 65 manual.  With the ignition on, one side of the
light is connected to the battery.  In order for the light to light up, the
other side must have a ground return path.  It gets that path when the
voltage regulator upper contacts are closed.  When the voltage regulator
relay is operating normally, those contacts are being continually opened
and closed.  So the light is being constantly turned on and off--hence the
faint glow.  The amount of glow is dependent upon the regulator setting and
probably upon the bulb itself.  (BTW, the "resistor" shown directly above
the light is really a resistance wire--the 24AWG brown wire shown in the
upper right hand corner of the schematic on page 12-25.)

Charlie Morgan
Beaver State Corvairs