<VV> Alternator Light glows on LM. (fairly long)

Ewell Mills emills5 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Apr 12 18:13:53 EDT 2005

Charlie,

What you are saying is possibly true if one is using an alternator (old style) that uses a regulator.  Both of my cars have been converted to higher output alternators with internal regulators. (Both have A/C). Also, both cars have had the regulator wiring modified as per the Tech Guide under Electrical and Speedometer permanent conversion. (Article by Bob Helt).  When doing this, the regulator no longer exists.  What is strange is that my 67 with a Corsa Dash installed by a previous owner glows, (I have since swapped out the Corsa Dash with another) and both do the same thing.  My 65 Monza with a Monza dash has been modified the same as the 67, but has a Monza dash, and the light does not glow. (High output alternator with internal regulator and old type regulator removed).  There must be something different, but I don't have the foggiest what it is.  I have learned to live with it and ignore it, since it is only really noticeable at night.  Both cars also have voltmeters installed, and problem is not caused by alternator output.  Both read battery voltage without alternator turning, and approximately 14 volts with alternator putting out, and batteries in both stay charged up just fine.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.