<VV> Turn Signal & Brake Light Problem.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Apr 12 21:16:11 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/2/2005 9:26:36 PM Pacific Standard Time,
greenbriergoon at yahoo.com writes:

When  I flip the switch to the right only the front turn signal light comes
on and  it stays on without flashing.  Nothing happens in the rear.  The  right
rear brake light does not work.

I checked the bulb.  It's  okay.  I tested to see if any power was going to
that light.   None.

The fuses are okay.  Cound this be a faulty turn signal  switch?

Charles

Charles - As far as I know, the same bulb does the work of turn and  stop
light. Usually, the circuits to the rear bulbs are fed from the stop  light
switch to and then through the turn signal assembly to the bulb. This  is so the
bulb will flash even if the brake is on! The turn signal interrupts  the feed to
the rear bulbs and flashes it.  If you are stopped at a light  with the brake
on, ready to turn, you want the turn indicator light flashing on  and off!
When you turn on the turn signal, the feed from the stop light  switch (if on)
is disconnected and replaced by the intermittant feed of the  flasher, (also
feeding the front turn lights) a completely different circuit to  that point.
If neither the turn signal nor the stop light works on that side,  chances are
the feed from the steering column to that light bulb is bad. It  could be
within the steering column/switch assembly as well. At some point the  Greenbriar
used a cable at the lever, moving the switch down at the bottom of  the
column. They changed to the car-type system a little later. I am not sure  which
year. I would start under the dash at the point that the circuit heads  back to
the rear bulb. The fact that the front bulb works indicates that the  switch is
likely okay. Let un know what you find!

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer at aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette