<VV> Re: ALTERNATORS

henry kaczmarek kaczmarek at charter.net
Wed Apr 13 10:38:20 EDT 2005

guys
if we are talking about the GM series CS alternator as it was in the
mid-late 90's, be thankful it isn't adaptable. One of the worst engineered
designs ever. Rear bearing would fall apart from a hard stare. sold hundreds
of rebuilts, most of which also had the rear bearing self destruct in any
where from 10 minutes to 20K miles of run time.

Regulator was another useless piece of garbage, #2 reason for replacement
with a rebuilt.

Now my wife's alero has a CS (03 model), and it has run flawlessly for 70K
miles, so I imagine there has been some "re" engineering done to it. But
aren't the front shafts designed for the deeper, thicker serpentine belt
pulley??  could it be effectively cut down for a V belt pulley??

Hank