<VV> new car for me - towing - beating a dead horse

Geoff Johnson geoffj at unm.edu
Thu Apr 14 12:17:36 EDT 2005

HA that would be in a nice world.  Last time I actually moved a car via
U-Haul the cost was ~400$ for a flat bed trailer.  That was one way from
Dallas to Albuquerque.  I tried to get one locally to trailer my friends
Torovair across town when the transmission blew out in it.  We did not want
to tow it with the special for Corvair tow bar we have that bolts to the
bumper holes.   Then all the Uhaul places would not let us tow a Corvair.
So we said we were towing a Toronado ;)  Then they would not let us rent
the trailer because  their mangled wiring harness for the stoplights on the
trailer would not match the ones on our tow vehicle.  Ended up paying a
towing company 60$ to have them flat bed it correctly about 10 miles.

Wasn't it Alan telling horror stories of alignment shops holding up a
wrench to the car to look like they were doing something but not actually
adjusting anything?    I have alligned many Vairs with my homemade jigs
that took 1/2 hour to make.  Drive wonderfully.

Moral: People think of alignment as this mystical scary process.  In all
actuality it is really simple with simple tools.  Hardest part is dealing
with old mangled rusty threads on tie rod ends!

-Geoff Johnson

--On Thursday, April 14, 2005 8:19 AM -0700 Frog Princezz
 Rent an auto